The Ogun State Police Command has dismissed circulating claims that a woman who reported an alleged sexual assault in Ogijo was arrested after speaking out, clarifying that she voluntarily approached authorities and was instead taken for medical care.
The controversy began Sunday when TikTok user Mirabel posted an emotional video alleging she was attacked in her apartment. In the clip, which quickly spread across social media, she claimed an unknown intruder entered her home while she was unconscious, physically assaulted and raped her, and later sent threatening messages. She also said the trauma pushed her toward a suicide attempt, sparking widespread outrage and calls for justice online.
Initial online reports suggested the incident occurred in Lagos, prompting responses from the Lagos State Police Command and related agencies. However, preliminary findings indicated the alleged assault took place in Ogun State, shifting jurisdiction to local authorities.
As the video gained traction, some users alleged Mirabel had been arrested and questioned the credibility of her account due to perceived inconsistencies. Police moved swiftly to counter the narrative.
In a statement posted Thursday, police spokesperson Oluseyi Babaseyi said the woman presented herself at the Ibafo Police Division on Wednesday, February 18, to formally lodge her complaint. After an initial review, she was transferred to the appropriate division handling cases in Ogijo.
According to the statement, she was found not to be in a stable condition to provide detailed information and was immediately taken for a comprehensive medical examination, with officials closely monitoring her health. Authorities stressed that she was never arrested.
ELIJAH ADEYEMI
No comments:
Post a Comment