Notification

×

Ads

Ads

EFCC, ICPC Probe NFF Over ₦12bn Federal Government Intervention Fund

8/20/2026 | 6:12 PM WAT Last Updated 2026-08-21T17:12:20Z
0
    Share

 

EFCC, ICPC Probe NFF Over ₦12bn Federal Government Intervention Fund

By Adeola Kunle

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission have reportedly launched investigations into how the Nigeria Football Federation utilised a ₦12 billion intervention fund approved by the Federal Government for the payment of players’ salaries, allowances and bonuses.

The fund was approved by President Bola Tinubu in 2024 to clear outstanding financial obligations owed to Nigeria’s national teams across various sports.

A source familiar with the investigation disclosed that some officials connected to the matter had been invited by investigators and had given statements. According to the source, the officials are currently on administrative bail while the investigation continues.

“They have been under our radar before now. We invited some officials over to our offices, and they gave their statements. Presently, they are on administrative bail. We have not ended our investigation,” the source said.

The development was contained in a letter signed by Onoja Joshua, Esq., on behalf of the NFF General Secretary, in response to a request seeking financial records and utilisation details concerning the ₦12 billion intervention fund.

The letter, dated August 18, 2026, was addressed to the Principal Partner of Cromwell & Okeke following a correspondence dated August 7, 2026, which the NFF said it received on August 11.

According to the letter, the request was made under the Freedom of Information Act and sought access to financial records and other documents relating to the Federal Government intervention fund reportedly released for the payment of players’ wages and bonuses.

However, the NFF declined to release the requested documents, explaining that the matter was already under investigation by both the EFCC and the ICPC.

“I am directed to refer to the above subject matter and your correspondence dated 7th August, 2026 but received on 11th August, 2026,” the letter stated.

“It is my instruction to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act is subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.

“Therefore, all documents relating to the request are before the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.”

In January 2024, ahead of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in Ivory Coast, it was announced that President Tinubu had approved the release of outstanding funds owed by the Federal Government to the Super Eagles and other Nigerian national teams.

According to a statement issued through the President’s Media Centre, the ₦12 billion intervention covered 15 months of unpaid salaries owed to coaches of the senior national team, as well as allowances and other financial commitments involving the senior men’s team, women’s teams and the U-20 national team.

The statement said: “President @officialABAT has approved the payment of N12bn outstanding backlog for Nigeria’s National teams of various sports, which includes Super Eagles and others.

“The payment entails the clearing of the senior national team coaches’ salaries running up to 15 months, payments of allowances and promises due to the senior national teams, women’s teams, and U-20 national team.”

Despite the intervention, concerns over unpaid allowances and bonuses have continued to trail Nigerian football.

In November 2025, the Super Eagles reportedly boycotted training in Rabat, Morocco, ahead of a crucial 2026 World Cup play-off against Gabon, citing unpaid allowances dating back to 2019, including payments connected to the team’s achievements at the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations and qualification for the World Cup play-offs.

Similarly, in April 2026, DIP CONNECT ONLINE NEWS reported that members of the 2023 and 2025 Flying Eagles squads complained about outstanding payments allegedly owed to them by the NFF.

The players reportedly claimed that the federation owed them about ₦1.5 billion, covering qualification bonuses for participation in six major tournaments and pre-tournament camping allowances spanning approximately 65 days.

The latest investigation comes amid continued public scrutiny of the management of Nigerian football, particularly following the Super Falcons’ failure to qualify for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup and the Super Eagles’ failure to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup held in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Meanwhile, NFF President Ibrahim Gusau, who was elected during the federation’s elective congress in Benin City in September 2022, is seeking a second term at the planned September 27 elective congress amid growing criticism of his administration.

Although the NFF board has denied the claims, there have also been reports that the National Sports Commission may be considering moves to halt the elections and establish a normalisation committee to oversee Nigerian football.

As of the time of filing this report, the spokespersons for the ICPC and EFCC, John Odey and Dele Oyewale, respectively, could not be reached for comments.

DIP CONNECT ONLINE NEWS will continue to monitor developments surrounding the investigation into the utilisation of the ₦12 billion intervention fund.

Adeola Kunle

No comments:

Post a Comment