Notification

×

Ads

Ads

Sokoto Boat Tragedy: 46 Bodies Recovered, 16 Passengers Still Missing

8/21/2026 | 6:19 PM WAT Last Updated 2026-08-21T17:19:38Z
0
    Share

 

Sokoto Boat Tragedy: 46 Bodies Recovered, 16 Passengers Still Missing

By Adeola Kunle

At least 46 bodies have been recovered following a tragic boat accident in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, as rescue teams continue searching for 16 other passengers who remain missing.

The Sokoto State Police Command confirmed that the boat, which was carrying 77 passengers, including men, women and children, capsized on Thursday.

According to the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Ahmed Rufai, 15 passengers were rescued alive, while 46 bodies had so far been recovered from the water.

He said security agencies and emergency responders were continuing search and rescue operations for the remaining 16 passengers.

“Forty-six corpses have so far been recovered, while 15 persons were rescued alive. The rescue team, comprising local divers, NEMA, SEMA and the Police, is still searching for the remaining 16 persons,” Rufai said.

The police spokesman confirmed that a total of 77 people were on board the boat when the accident occurred.

The rescue operation involves local divers, personnel of the National Emergency Management Agency, the Sokoto State Emergency Management Agency and the Nigeria Police Force.

The tragedy has thrown Gorau community into mourning, with several families anxiously awaiting news about relatives who were aboard the ill-fated boat.

The incident also occurred exactly one year after another boat accident was recorded in Kijio community, also located in Goronyo Local Government Area.

Earlier reports from a resident of Gorau indicated that the accident happened on Thursday morning, although the exact number of casualties was initially unclear.

The resident said only a few passengers were initially rescued, while several bodies were later recovered from the water as divers and emergency responders intensified efforts to locate those still missing.

The resident appealed to relevant authorities to strengthen the rescue operation, noting that many families were desperately waiting for information about their loved ones.

Meanwhile, a senior official of the National Emergency Management Agency, identified simply as Alhaji Ibrahim, said the agency had mobilised personnel to join the operation.

“Our officials are currently on their way to the community to join the rescue operation,” he said.

As of the time of filing this report, the cause of the boat accident had not been established.

ADC Governorship Candidate Reacts

The African Democratic Congress governorship candidate in Sokoto State, Hon. Manir Muhammad Dan’iya, has expressed grief over the tragedy.

In a statement issued by his Media Aide, Aminu Abdullahi, Dan’iya described the accident as a devastating tragedy, particularly as some of those involved were reportedly children between the ages of 10 and 15 travelling alongside farmers and labourers.

“I am deeply saddened by this tragic incident and the loss of precious lives in Gorau. My thoughts and prayers are with the families who have lost their loved ones and those whose relatives are still missing,” he said.

Dan’iya commended the efforts of local divers and residents participating in the rescue operation and called on the Sokoto State Government and relevant emergency agencies to urgently deploy more personnel, medical teams and rescue equipment to the affected community.

He also stressed the importance of properly identifying and documenting the victims to ensure that their families receive appropriate assistance.

According to the ADC candidate, the tragedy has highlighted the urgent need for safer transportation options for farming communities situated around waterways.

“This tragedy highlights the urgent need for safer means of transportation for our farming communities. No farmer should have to risk his or her life simply to access a farm and provide food for the family,” Dan’iya said.

He called for a comprehensive assessment of waterways across Sokoto State and urged authorities to provide properly regulated boats, life jackets and other safety equipment.

Dan’iya also advocated the training of boat operators, the provision of emergency response facilities and equipment, as well as the construction of bridges or alternative crossings in communities where they are necessary.

“The safety and welfare of rural communities must remain a fundamental responsibility of government, especially when citizens are travelling to their farms to produce food and sustain their families,” he added.

The ADC governorship candidate further pledged that an ADC administration in Sokoto State would place priority on rural infrastructure, agricultural development and community safety.

Dan’iya extended his condolences to the families of those who lost their lives, the people of Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area and the entire people of Sokoto State.

He prayed for the repose of the victims and appealed to residents to remain calm and cooperate with emergency and security personnel as efforts continue to locate the 16 passengers still missing.

DIP CONNECT ONLINE NEWS will continue to follow developments surrounding the tragic Sokoto boat accident.

Adeola Kunle

No comments:

Post a Comment