A Magistrate Court sitting in Ilorin, Kwara State, has ordered the arrest of the state Commandant of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps), Abbas Mohammed, for failing to appear before it in an ongoing assault case involving two officers of the corps.
The order was issued on Wednesday by Chief Magistrate Adebayo Dupe, who directed the Kwara State Commissioner of Police, Adekimi Ojo, to arrest the commandant and produce him in court on the next adjourned date fixed for June 10, 2026.
The directive followed an application brought before the court by counsel to Barrister Aladodo Abdullateef Nurudeen, who alleged he was assaulted by NSCDC officers Ajayi Williams Gbolahan and Busari Babatunde at the corps’ office in Ilorin on April 10, 2026, while attending to a client.
During proceedings, prosecution counsel, Prof. D.A. Ariyo-Osu, told the court that the commandant had failed to comply with earlier judicial orders requiring him to produce the accused officers and also appear personally before the court. He described the conduct as contemptuous and a disregard for the authority of the court.
Counsel for the NSCDC officers, A. Imam, told the court that the commandant had petitioned the Kwara State Chief Judge seeking reassignment of the case, citing a loss of confidence in the court handling the matter.
The case was originally filed by the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Ilorin Branch, which alleged that the lawyer was assaulted, dragged into a room, and humiliated despite identifying himself. The association described the incident as unprovoked and an abuse of power, while also alleging that the commandant was present during the incident but failed to intervene. The court had earlier issued a warrant of arrest and summons after repeated non-compliance with its directives.
Elijah Adeyemi

No comments:
Post a Comment