Lagos State lawmaker, Desmond Elliot, has opened up on his involvement in the controversial impeachment of Speaker Mudashiru Obasa, saying he signed the impeachment document based on the belief that it had presidential backing. Elliot made the clarification during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily, where he responded to recent comments linking him to the political crisis that rocked the Lagos Assembly in January 2025.
Elliot explained that he was outside the country at the time of the impeachment, having travelled with his wife during the Assembly’s recess to attend a family wedding. He said he was in South Africa when news broke that Obasa had been removed, and by the time he returned to Nigeria, the process had already been concluded by many of his colleagues. According to him, the widespread signatures on the impeachment document gave the impression that it was a coordinated move with approval from higher authorities.
He added that lawmakers later received a direct clarification from President Bola Tinubu, who reportedly told them he did not authorise the impeachment and directed that Obasa be reinstated as Speaker. Elliot said the House complied with the directive. He also reacted to comments from the President’s Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, who suggested he was nearly affected by intelligence linking Elliot to the impeachment plot, describing the claim as shocking given their long-standing relationship.
The impeachment saga began on January 13, 2025, when a majority of lawmakers removed Obasa while he was on vacation in the United States over allegations of misconduct, abuse of office, and financial mismanagement. His deputy, Mojisola Meranda, was subsequently elected as the first female Speaker of the House. However, Obasa rejected the removal, insisting it was unconstitutional, a position that triggered weeks of political tension, legal battles, and leadership uncertainty before the crisis was eventually resolved with his reinstatement.
Elijah Adeyemi

No comments:
Post a Comment