The Federal Capital Territory Administration has raised concerns over the increasing use of beggars and destitute persons by criminal groups to transport illicit drugs across Abuja.
The Secretary of the FCT Command and Control Centre, Peter Olumuji, disclosed this on Monday during the ongoing enforcement exercise known as Operation Sweep. According to him, security intelligence gathered by authorities revealed that vulnerable individuals, including persons with disabilities, are being deliberately exploited by criminal syndicates.
Olumuji explained that street beggars and physically challenged persons were increasingly being used as couriers for illegal drugs, particularly during nighttime operations.
“The sad thing is that, as vulnerable as they have become, they have also become a useful tool in the hands of criminal elements. From intelligence we have gathered over time, they use them to courier illicit drugs, especially at night,” he said.
He noted that the strategy was designed to avoid suspicion from security operatives.
“Who would suspect that a physically challenged person could courier illicit drugs? But they use them to do that,” he added.
The FCT official also alleged that some individuals targeted in the enforcement exercise were being used as informants by criminal gangs operating within the capital city.
Olumuji further revealed that enforcement officers had faced resistance during some raids, with suspects reportedly attacking officials using walking canes and other mobility aids.
The administration said the ongoing operation forms part of broader measures aimed at reducing street begging, improving public order and strengthening security across Abuja.
Also speaking on the exercise, the Head of FCT Enforcement, Ulkacha Adebayo, disclosed that 54 persons comprising 45 adults and nine children were evacuated during Monday’s operation.
She added that enforcement teams had removed about 835 persons from the streets over the past three months, bringing the total number evacuated so far to 889.
According to Adebayo, those removed from the streets are being profiled and transferred to government rehabilitation centres where they will receive welfare assistance and vocational training.
She said the enforcement operation is ongoing in major districts of Abuja, including Maitama, Asokoro, Garki, Wuse and Gwarinpa, under directives from the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike.
Elijah Adeyemi

No comments:
Post a Comment