Ahead of Wednesday’s ward congress of the All Progressives Congress in Ondo State, armed thugs reportedly invaded and disrupted a stakeholders’ meeting, assaulting several party leaders including state chairman Ade Adetimehin.
The meeting took place at the party secretariat in Akure, where the attackers allegedly arrived with dangerous weapons, attacked participants, and dragged some leaders during the session.
Adetimehin said he appeared to be the main target, claiming the assailants shouted his name as they entered before beating and dragging him from the conference hall to the ground floor. He added that two phones, his wristwatch, and ₦210,000 were taken from him, while his driver was beaten unconscious and later revived at a private hospital.
He explained that a congress committee from Abuja had earlier met party officials and advised convening a stakeholders’ meeting. He said he informed Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa about the plan and also warned him of rumours that some people were mobilising to disrupt it. According to him, the governor assured him no violence would be allowed, yet about 30 minutes later armed men allegedly stormed the venue, shooting intermittently and injuring several members.
Former commissioner Yetunde Adeyanju, who attended the meeting, alleged the attackers claimed they were sent by the governor and threatened that no congress would hold in the state. She described the incident as unprecedented in the state’s political history and called on security agencies and national party leaders to intervene.
Board representative of the Niger Delta Development Commission, Otito Atikase, also condemned the attack, alleging it reflected the governor’s “body language,” though he acknowledged the governor had not publicly stated opposition to the congress. Party chieftain Olumuyiwa Asagunla said about 200 hoodlums invaded the premises, forcing members to flee, while Ademola Ijabiyi recounted narrowly escaping after disguising himself while helping an injured attendee.
The Ondo State Government, however, denied any involvement, describing the allegations as malicious and politically motivated. In a statement, Information Commissioner Idowu Ajanaku said the governor was neither aware of nor connected to the meeting and could not have sanctioned violence, stressing that his administration maintains zero tolerance for political thuggery and remains focused on governance and the Renewed Hope Agenda of Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
Meanwhile, the state APC chapter said the disruption was an isolated incident caused by an internal misunderstanding and not linked to the upcoming congress. Its media director, Steve Otaloro, said the party had begun an internal review and confirmed that calm had been restored.
The Nigeria Police Force said it received a distress call and quickly deployed operatives, noting that one injured person was taken to hospital while tactical teams have been stationed around the secretariat as investigations continue.
ELIJAH ADEYEMI

No comments:
Post a Comment